Saturday 6 June 2009

Introductions...

...have always been a pain for me to manage. I never know how much information is too much or too little. So I'll start with too little, you can figure out the rest as you go along.

I'm 20-something, and I'll stay 20-something until I reach 30-something. I'm starting my 2nd year of a Foundation Degree in Creative Industries Professional Writing, (try explaining that one to someone after your 6th straight double whiskey of the night) where I study literature classics, career prospects, and movie and psychology. It all ties in together and makes sense, believe me. Well I say it makes sense, if you can get your head around feminism and dystopian futures, the notion that your career could hinge on having a shit life or being dead, and the idea that the movie Alien(s) is really about male fear of childbirth. It is a fantastic course, and I have learnt and done a lot just in the first year.

I'm just getting my head around the settings and layout of this blog thing. It seems simple enough to figure out at a glance, but then so do women. Go figure. I seem to have settled nicely for what you see now, though it's bound to have the occasional change, as I like to keep busy with pointless endeavours.

As a writer, I know a few nice long words, and I like to try and find more of these nice long words. But sometimes we even forget the simplest of words or ideas. As is usual with me, I end up on one thing and go off onto something completely different, so while writing my "about me" section, and checking that "rambling" really did mean the pursuit of walking for fun (yes, I know, inconceivable isn't it) I found this on Wikipedia which amused me:
"In the United Kingdom, "walking" is the usual term for what in other countries is called hiking, which in the UK is a slightly old-fashioned word, with a flavour of heartiness and exercise."
Why this amused me is the wording. "is a slightly old fashioned word, with a flavour of heartiness and exercise." as if it's implying we consider it old-fashioned because it's full of "heartiness and exercise", and we all know that us British are a bunch of lazy and unenthusiastic sods.

I'll leave it at that for now, hope it's been an interesting first post. I shall return soon with more.

No comments:

Post a Comment